Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for Commercial Properties

Learn more about MEES, what you need to demonstrate compliance and how Utilitywise can help.

Commercial landlords need to ensure that privately rented properties meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES).

We’ll make MEES compliance easy:

  • number 1 one icon

    Portfolio Analysis


    We’ll analyse your existing building portfolio to identify where new EPCs are required (for example, sites with no valid EPC and F/G rated sites).

  • number two 2 icon

    Site Visit


    We’ll send an accredited Energy Assessor out to conduct a site visit and thorough audit of the building.

  • number three 3 icon

    Energy Performance Certificate

    We’ll provide you with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) completed by your Energy Assessor.

  • icon number four 4



    If your EPC is below standard, we’ll help you put our recommendations in place to gain compliance – letting you get back to running your business and leasing your properties.

What are the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)?

The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) Regulations 2015 establish a minimum level of energy efficiency for privately rented property in England and Wales.

This means that, from April 2018, landlords of privately rented domestic and non-domestic property in England or Wales must ensure that their properties reach at least an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.

These requirements will then apply to all private rented non-domestic properties in England and Wales – even where there has been no change in tenancy arrangements – from 1 April 2023.

Utilitywise can help

We can provide you with the Energy Performance Certificate you need for compliance with the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards.

We can also help you to identify and make changes if you need to improve your EPC rating.

With Energy Performance Certificate prices starting at £340 + VAT, we make complying with MEES simple and cost-effective.


Contact Us Now

You will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

To demonstrate that your commercial property meets the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards, you’ll need to produce an Energy Performance Certificate with a rating of at least E.

Energy Performance Certificates (ECPs) are a legal requirement under the Energy Performance of Building Regulations for any building constructed, sold or let in the UK after 2008.

A commercial property Energy Performance Certificate will give a business an energy performance rating from A-G for the building and will be accompanied by an Advisory Report giving recommendations to raise this rating.

Find out more

MEES minimum energy efficiency standard compliance rating

Why choose Utilitywise to help you comply with the
Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards?

  • We help thousands of UK businesses manage their business utilities so you can rest assured we know our stuff.

  • Our team has extensive EPC experience – we’ve been delivering them since their introduction.

  • We go the extra mile – we can provide options to simply comply or to achieve an even higher EPC rating.

  • We offer a range of energy-related services, so if you need help with other things like Air Conditioning Inspections or Energy Audits, or even finding a new gas, water or electricity contract, we can help.

Make sure you’re compliant with the
Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES).

Complete and submit this form and one of our Energy Experts will be in touch to discuss your requirements.
Or call us on 0330 303 3303.

Frequently asked questions about the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for Commercial Properties

  • What tenancies and buildings does MEES apply to?

    From 1 April 2018, the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards apply to new domestic and non-domestic lettings and lease renewals.

    On 1 April 2020, this will extend to all existing privately rented residential property.

    Finally, by 1 April 2023, MEES will apply to all existing non-domestic leases.

  • Are there any exemptions from the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for Commercial Property?

    The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards do not apply to tenancies of over 99 years or tenancies not exceeding six months with no right of renewal, places of worship or temporary buildings.

    There are several potential exemptions to MEES, including:

    • Listed or historic buildings and those in conservation areas. Exemption must be applied for and and stict criteria are in place;
    • Where a surveyor determines that the relevant energy efficiency improvements would reduce the Market Value of the property by more than 5%.

    Exemptions must be registered on the PRS Exemption Register and are valid for five years. Additionally, if a let property is sold or otherwise transferred with an exemption registered, the exemption will cease to be effective.

    More detailed information on potential exemptions can be found in the government’s guidance.

  • What are the penalties for failing to comply with MEES?

    Failure to comply with the Regulations will result in landlords facing a financial penalty and a publication of non-compliance.

    Local authorities will enforce the provisions via Trading Standards Officers, with fines up to £150,000.

    • For breaches less than 3 months: Up to £5,000 or 10% rateable value – whichever is greater.
    • For breaches greater than 3 months: Up to £10,000 or 20% rateable value (up to £150,000) – whichever is greater.

    Furthermore, if the landlord breaches the MEES regulations, the breach will be published on the exemptions register for a minimum of 12 months.

Customer Testimonial
Test Valley Council

“The Council needed to identify energy improvements that could easily be made to improve the Energy Performance Certificate from an E rating to a D rating…

“Test Valley Borough Council appreciated the helpful analysis, clear recommendations and speedy response that Utilitywise were able to provide.”

– Principal Building Surveyor, Test Valley Borough Council

Energy Awareness Staff Training at Utilitywise

See what some of our 40,000+ customers are saying about Utilitywise

You may also be interested in

  • Gas and electricity energy icon

    Compare Business Electricity & Gas

    Get prices from multiple suppliers and find out how much you could save on your business electricity and gas.

    Compare Online Now

  • Book an Energy Audit

    Drill down into exactly how much energy you’re using and where you’re using it with a full Energy Audit.

    Find out more