Head of Marketing & Communications
Utilitywise is a high paced, high growth business that exists to support businesses of all shapes and sizes with their utility needs, be they simple or complex, by connecting our customers with the very best products and services in the market, helping them buy better and use less energy.
Over the past ten years, Utilitywise has grown from a fledgling business to one that now supports tens of thousands of businesses across the UK and Ireland, and into Europe.
Our mission never stops however, and we are constantly exploring new ways to grow our business and deliver for customers with unique and differentiated propositions and channels. In the shorter term we are expanding our service into new utilities, products and services business use to run their business, as well as developing solutions that help businesses harness IoT (internet of things) technology to get greater control over their energy use, by making their buildings intelligent.
The Head of Marketing & Communications is a key leadership role within our organisation, responsible for creating and executing the marketing strategy to support customer, market share and revenue growth targets.
Utilitywise is changing things in our industry; bringing new and differentiated propositions to market, leveraging new channels and routes to market and creating transparency for customers. We are evolving new communications strategies to bring these messages, product launches and our brand to life for businesses across the UK and Ireland.
Creating and delivering against a marketing plan and roadmap, the Head of Marketing & Communications will have budget responsibility for executing end to end, multi-channel TTL campaign delivery. You will be the custodian of our brand, and will work collaboratively with other parts of the marketing team and the organisation to support the launch of new propositions, promote our brand effectively, driving awareness and demand.
You’ll lead a team of experienced segment / campaign managers, a content team, digital and marketing operations team, PR & social and internal creative services, and work closely with agency partners, to define and deliver outstanding, differentiated customer campaigns across the marketing mix from the UK’s largest multi utilities broker. You will also support the development of our brand strategy, to reinforce our brand position as trusted advisor in our sector and as thought-leader / pioneer in the market where we put customers first, revolutionise markets we are in, and harness technology and transforming the way businesses view and interact with utilities.
- Lead the Marketing & Communications function, managing the team and optimising structure to meet the needs of the organisation and deliver optimally against our strategy and targets;
- KPI and ROI focus, breeding a culture of accountability;
- Coaching and development of the Marketing & Communications team as required.
Demand Generation & Content Management
- Developing demand generation strategies that drive inbound customer activity;
- Managing via experts the delivery of Display / PPC / SEO strategies;
- Own the delivery and evolution of Utilitywise content strategy used to engage prospect customers and increase top of funnel / awareness.
Marketing campaign management
- Managing the delivery of relevant, differentiated marketing campaigns to new/prospect customer segments and develop ‘In-life’ marketing campaigns and strategies (e.g. welcome to renewal, including cross-sell);
- Collaborate with other marketing colleagues in Product Marketing to define positioning and develop messages for internal and external audiences;
- Develop launch and segment marketing plans as applicable to bring to life Utilitywise products and services creatively and with flair to drive appeal, engagement and top of funnel metrics.
Marketing Plan & Roadmap:
- Develop the Utilitywise strategic marketing plan;
- Creation and evolution of the Marketing roadmap supporting key proposition launches and strategy;
- Advise on and evangelise the use of latest marketing trends, and explore innovative opportunities and ways to engage customers;
- Differentiate Utilitywise from competition using innovative marketing messaging and campaigns;
- Act as the Brand guardian for Utilitywise and design/execute/maintain tone of voice guidelines;
- Create a unique tone of voice for Utilitywise, and drive brand affinity.
PR & Social Media
- Establishing robust PR, social and IR strategies and capabilities that support Utilitywise ambition, selecting and engaging with external agencies where applicable;
- Delivering national and regional PR & social campaigns that support marketing roadmap and differentiate Utilitywise within the market;
- Manage a company-wide PR editorial calendar and deliver compelling content;
- Establish and manage work-flow for requesting, creating, editing, publishing and retiring content;
- Build and evolve the profile of the CEO as ‘face of the brand’, and provide support, guidance and preparation to other senior team members;
- Developing a robust crisis management process to manage risk, and create capabilities to monitor issues, competitors and Internet to protect Utilitywise.
- Managing the marketing communications budget;
- Manage and develop strong relationships with key agencies to maximise creative return on investment, overseeing all media related activity via external parties;
- Take full control of all marketing spend and ensure processes in place to effectively manage spend;
- Lead and ensure we get maximum value from our selected external agencies;
- Demonstrate ROI on all campaigns and investments with effective quarterly reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree level education with a recognised marketing qualification
- Business degree of equivalent level.
- 10+ years marketing mix communications experience amongst leading consumer / B2B brands in a dynamic business environment;
- Demonstrable delivery capability of through the line, integrated campaigns including on and offline marketing channels;
- Leadership capability, with coaching prowess;
- Experience in developing Marketing Roadmaps and plans;
- Experience in effective budget management;
- Creative flair- demonstrated ability to ‘challenge the norm’ and deliver memorable and effective marketing;
- Experience in PR & social media, managing agencies and leading strategic plan development;
- Commercial outlook – Astute, numerate and comfortable with KPIs and metrics and exploring and managing ROI;
- Effective in managing and influencing others, negotiating, partnering, communicating, delivering presentations;
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Exposure to Investor Relations PR strategies.
Personal Qualities, Aptitudes, and Skills
- First class attention to detail;
- Outstanding communicator;
- Ability to work under pressure managing multiple campaigns;
- Credible and engaging, able to communicate and influence at all levels in the organisation;
- Has a strong work ethic is resourceful, assertive and takes initiative;
- Results-oriented, analytical, pragmatic, innovative, strategically-aware, commercially-minded self-starter;
- Other essential qualities will include high levels of engagement and commitment, strong commercial instincts, a supportive and accessible style and a sense of humour;
- Proven ability in developing team.
- Proof of eligibility to work within the UK;
- References to cover last 5 years employment.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org.