Head of IoT – Ops
Location: Redditch/Cobalt/ UK home-based
The Intelligent Buildings department sits within the Corporate Division and is responsible for developing the company’s intelligent buildings offering to its clients, looking for ways in which ‘smart building’ technology can achieve maximum efficiency for clients for their utility consumption.
This role is directly responsible for technical implementation and commissioning of all projects and services offered by the Intelligent Buildings department.
- Developing, coordinating and managing all engineering elements of client intelligent building projects.
- Creation and implementation of technical strategy, driving through the technical delivery of client focussed projects for the Intelligent Buildings department.
- Providing technical oversight and challenge to all technical aspects of the client’s project through each stage of the project lifecycle to completion.
- Understanding each clients’ requirments, liaising with the client and completing site investigations and establishing a client specific solution.
- Development and implementation of all client processes and procedures, ensuring the internal team deliver to an exemplary standard.
- Apply all processes and procedures to industry quality standards, ensuring that UTW are standing at the highest levels of available quality.
- Accountable for implementation and delivery of all engineering elements of the projects and services offered to clients.
- Responsible for the performance management of all engineering teams ensuring they have the capabilities, skills and capacity to deliver to the department’s objectives.
- Analysis of business performance against strategy and business requirements, setting KPIs to exceed establed departmental goals.
- Supporting business development and cross selling by the exemplary completion of the engineering spec to client and industry standards.
- Reviewing the Intelligent Buildings delivery model and working practices to identify areas for development, and implementing appropriate initiative and change to continuously improve the department’s offering to its clients.
- Identifying strategic and operational opportunities to maximise the use of smart building technology.
- Partner with the Leadership team to proactively build strong relationships with company customers aimed at increasing customer loyalty and lifetime value.
- Reporting and information provision at board level including budget setting and management.
- Responsible for all HR related issues as required for the team including liaising with the Recruitment, HR, Learning and Development teams as appropriate to ensure company policies and processes are adhered to.
- Responsible for maintaining an in depth understanding of the competitor market and ensuring that the department remains in front of its competitors.
- Being the champion for the company strategy and values with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Degree educated or similar, preference to business-related qualifications
- 10 to 15 years’ experience in a technical lead role at a similar level, preferably gained in the same or an aligned technology based business, for example controls, Building Management Services (BMS) or Lighting.
- Demonstrable experience of engineering knowledge in this sector and completion of similar scope projects.
- Experience of working at senior/director level, with the ability to identify and meet customer requirements.
- Experience of managing and developing a team.
- Experience of setting up and managing budgets.
- Experience in the utility management sector is desirable.
- Experience of complex customer requirements and meeting these via exemplary project/service delivery.
Personal Qualities, Aptitudes, and Skills
- A passion for understanding client needs and delivering a solution based service.
- A natural leader and catalyst of change and improvement.
- An ideas generator, driving and promoting Intelligent Buildings to become a go to for client delivery across the UK.
- A natural innovator and organiser, ensuring the Utilitywise vision and values are communicated and adhered to.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills with experience of successfully influencing others, negotiating effectively with the ability to present at board level.
- Drive, ambition and commitment to strengthen the organisations overall capability.
- The ability to positively motivate and engage with colleagues and clients at all levels to achieve tangible outcomes.
- Pride, passion and energy.
- The ability to build and manage complex relationships.
- Proof of eligibility to work within the UK;
- References to cover last 5 years’ employment;
- Some travel will be required to other offices in the Utilitywise organisation and client locations.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a covering email to email@example.com.
As one of the UK’s leading business utilities consultancies, Utilitywise advises c.40,000 customers, helping them get the most value from their utilities through better procurement and efficiency services.
Having grown from a start-up business in 2006 to managing an effective IPO in 2012, Utilitywise understands the needs and concerns of all businesses, regardless of their size or sector. The plc works with clients ranging from James Whyte Joiner to the University of Bradford.
Utilitywise aims to debunk the myths that exist around utilities and support businesses across the UK to spend less time worrying about utilities so they can spend more time running their companies. In 2016 Utilitywise was named an OEM partner by Dell as part of a joint strategy to introduce Internet of Things (IoT) Building Automation solutions to customers.
Utilitywise is a UK company quoted on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange. In 2017, Utilitywise was named as one of the top 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain by the London Stock Exchange in its annual celebration of some of the fastest-growing and most dynamic small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the UK.