Head of IoT – Ops
Location: Redditch/Cobalt/ UK home-based
The Intelligent Buildings department sits within the Corporate Division and is responsible for developing the company’s intelligent buildings offering to its clients, looking for ways in which ‘smart building’ technology can achieve maximum efficiency for clients for their utility consumption.
This role is directly responsible for technical implementation and commissioning of all projects and services offered by the Intelligent Buildings department.
- Developing, coordinating and managing all engineering elements of client intelligent building projects.
- Creation and implementation of technical strategy, driving through the technical delivery of client focussed projects for the Intelligent Buildings department.
- Providing technical oversight and challenge to all technical aspects of the client’s project through each stage of the project lifecycle to completion.
- Understanding each clients’ requirments, liaising with the client and completing site investigations and establishing a client specific solution.
- Development and implementation of all client processes and procedures, ensuring the internal team deliver to an exemplary standard.
- Apply all processes and procedures to industry quality standards, ensuring that UTW are standing at the highest levels of available quality.
- Accountable for implementation and delivery of all engineering elements of the projects and services offered to clients.
- Responsible for the performance management of all engineering teams ensuring they have the capabilities, skills and capacity to deliver to the department’s objectives.
- Analysis of business performance against strategy and business requirements, setting KPIs to exceed establed departmental goals.
- Supporting business development and cross selling by the exemplary completion of the engineering spec to client and industry standards.
- Reviewing the Intelligent Buildings delivery model and working practices to identify areas for development, and implementing appropriate initiative and change to continuously improve the department’s offering to its clients.
- Identifying strategic and operational opportunities to maximise the use of smart building technology.
- Partner with the Leadership team to proactively build strong relationships with company customers aimed at increasing customer loyalty and lifetime value.
- Reporting and information provision at board level including budget setting and management.
- Responsible for all HR related issues as required for the team including liaising with the Recruitment, HR, Learning and Development teams as appropriate to ensure company policies and processes are adhered to.
- Responsible for maintaining an in depth understanding of the competitor market and ensuring that the department remains in front of its competitors.
- Being the champion for the company strategy and values with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Degree educated or similar, preference to business-related qualifications
- 10 to 15 years’ experience in a technical lead role at a similar level, preferably gained in the same or an aligned technology based business, for example controls, Building Management Services (BMS) or Lighting.
- Demonstrable experience of engineering knowledge in this sector and completion of similar scope projects.
- Experience of working at senior/director level, with the ability to identify and meet customer requirements.
- Experience of managing and developing a team.
- Experience of setting up and managing budgets.
- Experience in the utility management sector is desirable.
- Experience of complex customer requirements and meeting these via exemplary project/service delivery.
Personal Qualities, Aptitudes, and Skills
- A passion for understanding client needs and delivering a solution based service.
- A natural leader and catalyst of change and improvement.
- An ideas generator, driving and promoting Intelligent Buildings to become a go to for client delivery across the UK.
- A natural innovator and organiser, ensuring the Utilitywise vision and values are communicated and adhered to.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills with experience of successfully influencing others, negotiating effectively with the ability to present at board level.
- Drive, ambition and commitment to strengthen the organisations overall capability.
- The ability to positively motivate and engage with colleagues and clients at all levels to achieve tangible outcomes.
- Pride, passion and energy.
- The ability to build and manage complex relationships.
- Proof of eligibility to work within the UK;
- References to cover last 5 years’ employment;
- Some travel will be required to other offices in the Utilitywise organisation and client locations.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a covering email to email@example.com.
Utilitywise is a high paced, high growth business that exists to support businesses of all shapes and sizes with their utility needs, be they simple or complex, by connecting our customers with the very best products and services in the market. Over the past ten years, Utilitywise has grown from a fledgling business to one that now supports tens of thousands of businesses across the UK and Ireland, and into Europe. From simply securing a great energy deals via our unrivalled relationships with suppliers, through to intelligent technology solutions, compliance expertise and innovative procurement services we can help businesses to save time, effort and money so they can focus on doing what they do best.
Our mission never stops however, and we are constantly exploring new ways to grow our business and deliver for customers with unique and differentiated propositions and channels.
The Group operates from its headquarters at Cobalt Business Park in North Tyneside and currently employs approximately 1,600 staff across its operations.
Utilitywise was founded in 2006 as an energy procurement service provider for UK businesses. It has since grown and is now an established independent energy procurement and energy management business, it listed on the AIM market in 2012.
The Company negotiates rates with energy suppliers on behalf of business customers, provides an account care service and offers a range of products and services designed to help customers manage their energy consumption. Customers are based throughout the UK and in the Republic of Ireland, across a variety of industry sectors and the public sector, and range in size from small single site customers to large multi-site customers. In total Utilitywise has c.38,000 customers split across the two divisions; enterprise and corporate.
The Group has achieved strong revenue growth to date, seeing revenues rise from £11.7m in the financial year ended 31 July 2011 to £84.5m at financial year end July 2016. This is a result of strong like-for-like growth and the acquisitions of Clouds Environmental Consultancy, Aqua Veritas Consulting, Energy Information Centre and t-mac Technologies. Adjusted profit before tax rose from £16.7m in 2015 to £18.3m in 2016. Utilitywise has enjoyed in excess of 20% revenue growth year on year.
As the Group seeks to expand further, it has strengthened its already robust management team with the appointments of Brendan Flattery as CEO in October 2016 and the appointment of Richard Laker as CFO in January 2017.